Author Topic: Building Vocal Booth, Soundproof Glass and Ventilation  (Read 2837 times)

Offline kll

• Recently Joined
  • This Personal Text can be changed in your profile.
Building Vocal Booth, Soundproof Glass and Ventilation
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:45:52 AM »
Hi Forum
I am currently building a vocal booth and I would like to know where I can buy, on the internet, Sound Proof Glass, and a Silent Ventilation System.

Thanks for Support

Offline stainless

Re: Building Vocal Booth, Soundproof Glass and Ventilation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »
you should be able to go to any glass shop and order  whatever dimension you need.  Usually a dual pane glass with plastic(acrylic) laminated to each piece of glass-  you may want to use a triple pane'd panel... for an additional dead air space.  I'd recommend this over buying online because of shipping cost/breakage concerns

Oriental rice paper fan?
stainless-

Offline RawDepth

• Administrator
  • Articles wanted...PM me.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:34 AM »
My neighborhood has a consignment store for surplus/unused construction materials. I found 4 (never used) double pane casement windows that are fairly large for $20 each. I plan to double them up (2 windows per opening) to make quad panes at each window. Hopefully, that will work well.

For the ventilation, you can make your own exhaust port that starts at the top (interior) and exits at the bottom (exterior.) Then put a large slow moving computer fan at the bottom exit opening to draw air. Newegg.com has dozens. Shop for the larger fans that are maybe 100, 120, or 140 millimeters in diameter to fit your vent port size. The ones that run slower (like 800 or 1000 rpm) are usually the quietest. The slower, the quieter. The faster ones do move more air but some sound like a shop vac. More vents can always be installed later if needed.

Just about all of them run on 12 volts DC, so a proper sized wall-wart can easily supply that. Many of those computer fans have three or four wires now-a-days. Two will be for the DC current. The third is an rpm notification wire for the motherboard. The forth is so the motherboard can regulate the speed or to turn it off completely when not needed. You can just cut the third and forth wires once you know which is which. Or better yet...shop for less wires.

Offline stainless

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
I used two dual panes in a drum booth that worked pretty well. I angle each pane (opposite each other) so they wouldn't be parallel with any opposing walls. Room turned out to be a little too small so I removed the front wall and raised the floor as a drum riser and use a gobo and some plexi panels above to isolate the sound (and so the drummer cans till see out (and us in)

stainless-